Artvigil (Armodafinil) is a tablet form of Armodafinil containing 150mg per tablet. Armodafinil is prescribed to people with Attention-Deficit-Hyperactivity-Disorder (ADHD), those working on shifts and therefore suffering from sleep disorders, sleep apnea and chronic fatigue. It is also prescribed for patients suffering from major depression. The drug elevates blood pressure and heart rate, and as a result improved wakefulness. The drug also has other uses. For instance, it has been known to improve wakefulness in controllers of air traffic.
Dosage and Administration
Take Artvigil (Armodafinil) 150 mg tablet with a glass of water on a full stomach. It is crucial that you consume lots of water and other fluids when taking Armodafinil.
Dosage is dependent on your condition and will be advised by your doctor. Generally, the recommended dosage will be 150mg taken once daily in the morning.
Artvigil (Armodafinil) 150 mg brings in certain side effects such as:
- Extreme hyperactivity manifested in talking and activity
- Skin rash
- Suicidal thoughts
Less common but more serious side effects you may experience include:
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeling of excitement
- Severe increase or decrease in the heartbeat
- Chest pains
Artvigil (Armodafinil) should not be used by patients with suspected allergies to Armodafinil. The drug is passed on through breast milk and therefore you must inform your doctor if you are breast feeding. Pregnant women should avoid taking this drug.
Before taking Armod (Armodafinil) 150 mg you should inform your doctor if you have:
- Are pregnant or lactating
- hepatic or renal impairment
- previous case of psychosis
Patients with severe HTN or cardiac Arrhythmias must not consume Armodafinil 150 mg. Individuals with a history of left ventricle hypertrophy or ischaemic ECG changes or those with a prolapsed mitral valve must not take this medicine.
Drug Interactions with Armodafinil:
- CYP3A4/5 Substrates such as cyclosporine, steroidal contraceptives, triazolam and midazolam. The side effects from the drug maybe increased by such substrates because of metabolic enzymes that reduce systemic exposure.
- Steroidal contraceptives are reduced in their efficacy even after a month of discontinuing usage.